Friday 19 December 2008

Navy

The Navy's two 65 tonne super aircraft carriers, which are to be commissioned at Rosyth Dockyard, will not only physically dominate the skyline of West Fife in the middle of the next decade but also dominate our politics. Just months after the contracts were signed they've already been delayed yet the Trade Unions and MOD say this helps Rosyth by stretching the work - I have my doubts. I had robust discussion with a trade union official about our respective positions yesterday. I hope he's right but fear the delays are driven by the MOD's need to put off the bill. My meeting with Robin Presswood and Mark Hastings from Fife Council and Scottish Enterprise considered what will happen after the carriers with both the dockyard and the skilled workforce. After knocking on doors in Limekilns with Councillor Gerry McMullan I joined the Royal Naval Reserves at HMS Scotia for the Christmas Divisions - starting and ending the day with the Navy.

No comments:

Post a Comment